Student Veterans are growing in number on college campuses. In 2009, there were approximately 500,000 Student Veterans receiving education benefits. In 2013, over 1,000,000 student Veterans are using their GI benefits to pursue advanced educational opportunities, and this number is estimated to increase by 20% in the next few years. Review the section below to learn more about the Student Veteran population.
Today’s GI benefits can be used for various educational pursuits, and can cover tuition, books, and even housing expenses.
A disabled Veteran of the US Navy attending George Mason University http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/paul.asp
A Veteran of the US Air Force attending the University of Maryland
A Veteran of the US Marine Corps attending George Washington University http://www.benefits.va.gov/gibill/angelo.asp
A married Veteran of the US Coast Guard with three children
79% Student Veterans using GI benefits are attending public schools. The remaining 21% are equally split between non-profit private schools and proprietary schools.
National Center for Veterans analysis and statistics (2011)
American Council on Education