Military Sexual Trauma: Articles & Fact Sheets
Military Sexual Trauma
Articles & Fact Sheets
- Military Sexual Trauma: Provides background information about MST.
- What is military sexual trauma (MST)?
- How common is MST?
- How can MST affect Veterans?
- How has VA responded to the problem of MST?
- How can Veterans get help?
- MST Brochure for Veterans English / Spanish – Provides an overview of issues related to MST and how to access VA services.
- Men and MST – Educational brochure English / Spanish and Infographic English / Spanish – These resources provide information on men’s recovery from MST.
- Women and MST – Infographic English/Spanish – This provides information on women’s recovery from MST.
- Help for Veterans Affected By Recent Public Discussions About Sexual Abuse – Information, coping suggestions, and resources for connecting with care for Veterans who may be feeling distressed by recent public discussions about sexual assault and harassment.
- Top 10 Facts about VA Services for MST: Quick reference information for non-VA service providers about VA’s MST-related services.
- VA’s Health Care Services for Military Sexual Trauma (MST): Summary of the eligibility requirements and the types of MST-related services available through VA.
- VA Disability Compensation for Conditions Related to MST Factsheet / General Information: Veterans can apply for disability compensation for any current difficulties that are related to their service, including difficulties related to MST. Visit these sites to learn more about VA disability compensation for conditions related to MST. Remember that you do not need to have a VA disability rating in order to receive free MST-related treatment through VA.
- Don't Suffer in Silence: VA Offers Help for Military Sexual Trauma (MST): In this article, Air National Guard Veteran Jennifer Norris and Army Veteran Rowdy Grigsby share their stories.
- Military Sexual Trauma: Stories from Survivors: In this article, two MST survivors, John and Glenda, share their stories of recovery from MST. They also describe how taking advantage of free services from the VA helped with this process.
- Veteran Learns to "Face her Demons" with VA PTSD Treatment: Michelle Covert had PTSD for 24 years but didn’t know it. Today, thanks to her treatment at a VA hospital, she is working, happy and determined to be a “voice of hope.”
- “I made it!”: Massachusetts Veteran with PTSD turns his life around: Rich Adams was sexually assaulted while in the Navy and retreated into a life of shame and anger. Treatment has turned his life around dramatically.
- The ‘Invisible Monster’: A Homeless Female Veteran’s Journey to Take Back Her Life from PTSD: Casondra Williams struggled after experiencing MST during her service. It took courage for her to reach out for help from the VA, but doing so has helped her take her life back.
- When a Victim Becomes a Victor: This Navy Veteran Stands on His Story of Military Sexual Assault: Navy Veteran Timothy Jones shares his story of coming forward and recovering from MST, and the courageous steps he took to accept assistance from VA homelessness and mental health programs along the way.