A male Service Member hugging his baby while smiling at his wife.
Connecting with VA
How Do I Communicate with the VA?

If your client has been seen or is currently being seen for services at a VA Medical Center, it may be helpful to:

  • obtain medical records about your client's treatment at the VA
  • speak directly to the VA care provider familiar with your client
symbol Accessing and Sharing Medical RecordsSymbol

If you have spoken with your client and believe it would be helpful in treatment to review his or her medical records, there are a few ways you and your client can access VA medical records.

By Phone: You can contact the Release of Information (ROI) office at the VA facility from which your client receives or has received services. The individuals working in this office will be able to tell you what information they will need from you in order to be able to release the Veteran's medical records. To reach the Release of Information office, you can call your local VA Medical Center directly and ask the operator to connect you to the Release of Information Office.

Electronically: The Virtual Lifetime Electronic Record (VLER) Health Program: VLER Health Exchange is a program to help “Connect Your Docs” by enabling VA and non-VA providers to securely access certain Veteran health information electronically using the eHealth Exchange. The eHealth Exchange is a secure, trusted internet exchange. VA requires a Veteran-signed authorization (VA Form 10-0485) prior to sharing Veteran health information with non-VA providers.

To view instructions on how to “connect your docs” online, by mail, or in person see: http://www.va.gov/VLER/vler-health-exchange-registration-guide.asp#online

symbol Communicating with a VA Provider Symbol

If you would like to speak directly to a care provider within the VA Medical Center, you, along with your client, can complete a third party release of information form, VA Form 10-5345 and provide that to the VA clinician. The form will then be forwarded to the medical records department and the VA provider will be able to communicate with you regarding the Veteran's care. Information released will be limited to that which falls within the scope of what is outlined in the release of information form. Specify the nature of the request (i.e., specific information being requested) in the box, “Information Requested,” below “Veterans Request.”

If you have concerns regarding what information can be shared related to the treatment of a Veteran, or other questions regarding privacy of Veteran information, you may call the privacy officer, at your local VA Medical Center, who can address your questions and concerns. Use the VA program locator to find and contact your local VA Medical Center and ask the operator to connect you to the privacy officer.

For further information please read the Notice of Privacy Practices.

VLER Health Direct
: VLER Health Direct (also referred to as VA Direct) is a secure email-like system that allows a VA staff member to communicate with and send specific health information to a participating non-VA health care provider. Specific uses include referral authorizations, maternity tracking, home health coordination, and mental health care coordination, among others.

Download FAQs about the VLER Health Direct Program

My HealtheVet
: My HealtheVet is the VA’s Personal Health Record and allows Veterans to track VA appointments, refill prescriptions and send secure messages to their VA providers online. In addition, the Blue Button feature allows Veterans to view, print, or download and store information from their personal health record (PHR).

FAQs for myHealtheVet

Smartphone Applications: A number of smartphone apps are also available through a variety of non-VA sources. While VA doesn’t endorse specific apps, there are now creative, secure and easy-to-use ways of viewing Blue Button data. Search for “Blue Button” in your smartphone apps library to learn more.