Skip to main content
U.S. flag

An official website of the United States government

Dot gov

The .gov means it’s official.
Federal government websites often end in .gov or .mil.a Before sharing sensitive information, make sure you're on a federal government site.


The site is secure.
The https:// ensures that you are connecting to the official website and that any information you provide is encrypted and transmitted securely.


Many VITAL sites offer a range of mental health and supportive services on campus. These services range from helping with stress and time management to assessing and treating clinical conditions such as PTSD, depression, or insomnia.

Clinical services are available for:

  • Time management
  • Attention and/or memory difficulties
  • Sleep issues
  • Adjustment
  • Stress
  • PTSD (posttraumatic stress disorder)
  • Depression
  • Substance use
  • Anxiety
  • TBI (traumatic brain injury)

Did you know?

If VITAL staff members are unable to help on campus, they can help coordinate services at the local VA hospital or clinic or with community partners.

Care Coordination

Even if a Veteran feels fit, deployment and military careers can take a toll. VITAL helps ensure that Veterans are receiving the best support possible, which they have earned by serving their country. VITAL helps Veterans navigate VA and outside resources, so they may take advantage of all forms of support for their educational and career pursuits.

Here are some of the ways we can help. If you require a service or help not listed, please contact your local VITAL staff to see how we can help.

Enrollment in VA Services – VA Health Benefits

VITAL staff members can assist student Veterans in completing the VA health care benefits application or updating their information in the VA system.

Did you know?

If VITAL is not the best resource to help you with these specific needs, we'll get you connected to someone who can help.

  • Benefits questions
  • Vocational rehabilitation
  • Service connection claims
  • Certification on campus

Coordination of Physical and Mental Health Care

  • VA can help coordinate care for your physical and mental health care needs.
  • Local Vet Centers can help connect combat Veterans with readjustment counseling.
  • Community resources can help you find outside programs and services if there are needs that VA cannot meet.
  • In college settings, we can provide support for handling academic actions and/or conduct issues.


Setting Up Academic Accommodations

Colleges and universities are required to have services on campus to support students’ specific needs, from hearing and visual impairment to psychological concerns. VITAL staff members can talk with you about your needs and help you obtain the documentation required to receive academic accommodations. This can involve working with campus services to determine whether you meet the criteria to receive assistance such as :

  • Assistive technology devices, such as hearing aids, screen-reader software, SmartPens
  • Assistive physical supports, such as seating support
  • Assistive psychological supports, such as priority registration for classes, note-taking assistance, extended time for tests

Did you know?

Some VITAL sites can provide psychological evaluations for academic accommodations. If they don't offer this service on campus, they may be able to connect you to this resource at your nearest VA facility. Please contact your local VITAL site to see if this service is available in your area.

Last updated: