Family Member or Friend: Programs & Services
Family Member or Friend
Programs & Services
If you are caring for a Veteran, the VA Caregiver Support Program offers training, educational resources, and a variety of tools to help you succeed.
- Call the Caregiver Support Line at 1-855-260-3274 Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 11 p.m. ET; and Saturday, 10:30 a.m. – 6 p.m. ET.
Coaching Into Care
This VA program provides guidance to Veterans’ family members and friends for encouraging a reluctant Veteran they care about to reach out for support with a mental health challenge.
- Free, confidential assistance is available by calling 1-888-823-7458 Monday – Friday, 8 a.m. – 8 p.m. ET, or emailing CoachingIntoCare@va.gov.
Family Caregiver Alliance (FCA)
FCA is a public voice for caregivers with information, education, services, research, and advocacy programs to support and sustain the important work of families nationwide caring for loved ones with chronic, disabling health conditions.
Give an Hour
This program provides free mental health services to U.S. military personnel and families affected by the current conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Joint Service Support: Local Community Resource Finder
Members of all military branches and their families can use this local community resource finder to locate a Family Program Team, Transition Assistance Advisor, and more.
Make the Connection
MakeTheConnection.net is a one-stop resource where Veterans and their families and friends can privately explore information on mental health, hear stories of resilience from fellow Veterans and their families, and easily find and access the support and resources they need. Watch video testimonials from Veterans who have found effective solutions to issues affecting their lives and learn more about treatment and recovery.
This free service is provided by the Defense Department to Service members and their families to help them plan for deployment or access resources for education, employment, nonmedical counseling, and financial management.
- Call 24/7 at 1-800-342-9647.
Moving Forward: Overcoming Life’s Challenges
This free online educational and life-coaching program teaches problem-solving skills for handling life’s challenges.
National Center for PTSD
The Family and Friends section of the National Center for PTSD website provides information about the effects of trauma on families, children, relationships, and communities.
Veterans Crisis Line
This confidential toll-free hotline, text messaging, and online chat service connects Veterans and Service members in crisis and their families and friends with qualified, caring VA responders 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.
- Call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1.
- Text to 838255.
- Chat online.
Explore this page from the Veterans Crisis Line to find ways to show the Veteran in your life that you care. By reaching out, you can help someone going through a difficult time feel included and supported.
- Military OneSource Family Support: This site features information for Veterans and their families on parenting, family life, relationships, and more.
- Parenting for Service Members and Veterans: This free training program helps Veteran parents manage their challenges, improve skills, and strengthen their families.
- Parenting Toolkit: This resource comprises five toolkits for parents and care providers of infants, toddlers, pre-schoolers, school-age children, and teenagers), with guidance specifically for Veteran parents and their significant others.