Veteran in Recovery
Mental health is how we think, feel and behave. It helps determine how we adapt to a range of demands, relate to others and make choices. Just like physical health, mental health is important at every stage of life and is essential to overall health.
According to the National Consensus Statement on Mental Health Recovery, “Mental health recovery is a journey of healing and transformation enabling a person with a mental health problem to live a meaningful life in a community of his or her choice while striving to achieve his or her full potential.
In order to support the rehabilitation and recovery of every Veteran with a mental illness, VA has identified recovery as a guiding principle for its entire mental health service delivery system. Recovery is a journey that involves developing hope, self- direction, empowerment, respect and peer support.
Recovery Update Newsletter - Issue 4 + Bonus Self Advocacy Issue
In this edition of the Recovery Update Newsletter we look at:
- Increasing Access to WRAP
- Utilizing SE Resources in PSR
- Recovery Reminders
- Ask A Veteran
- VISN 3 Recovery Advocates Workgroup Turns 10
This is a special bonus issue of Recovery Update featuring a national provider panel on self-advocacy. The key topics are:
- Provider Panel on Self-Advocacy: How we can foster greater self-advocacy when working with individuals in recovery from SMI?
- Resources for Self-Advocacy
Download your copy of the Recovery Update Newslette - Issue 4
Download your copy of the Bonus Self Advocacy Issue
VA Programs & Services
- VA Recovery Services in Mental Health: Provides a list of the psychosocial services and resources available to eligible Veterans through the mental health programs at VA Medical Centers (VAMC).
- Guide to VA Mental Health Services for Veterans & Families: If you are a Veteran, Veteran family member, member of a Veterans Service Organization, or member of another group interested in VA mental health care you can use this handbook to learn what mental health services your local or regional VA health care facility has pledged to provide to Veterans.
- Mental Health Recovery Transformation: The VISN 3 MIRECC page provides recovery resources such as, a recovery brochure, educational resources and a list of upcoming events.
- MakeTheConnection.net: Visit this site to view hundreds of stories from Veterans of all service eras who have overcome mental health issues. MakeTheConnection.net is a one-stop resource where Veterans and their families and friends can privately explore information on mental health, hear fellow Veterans and their families share their stories of resilience, and easily find and access the support and resources they need.
- Watch video testimonials from Veterans who have found effective solutions to to issues affecting their lives, and to learn more about treatment and recovery.
Articles & Fact Sheets
- Mental Health Consumer Council Conference Report:A Veteran's Perspective: Why do we have and need for Veteran Mental Health Councils? The key to change is making services available that are driven by what Veterans want in their lives.
- Classes help Veterans with Mental Illness: Psychosocial Rehabilitation and Recovery Center: For a Veteran with serious mental illness, the idea of living a more fulfilling life and developing their full potential can sometimes seem insurmountable. There is an exceptional program in the VA that is making it possible.
- Mental Health Recovery: A Journey of Healing and Transformation: In order to support the rehabilitation and recovery of every Veteran with a mental illness, VA has identified recovery as a guiding principle for its entire mental health service delivery system.
- Self-Disclosure and Its Impact on Individuals Who Receive Mental Health Services*: This essay examines the role self-disclosure plays in reducing stigma and discrimination associated with mental illness.