Military Sexual Trauma: Other Resources
Military Sexual Trauma
Community Provider Toolkit
This toolkit summarizes key educational and outreach resources for providers in the community who want to learn more about MST and VA’s free MST-related services and to enhance the services they provide to Veterans who experienced MST.
- National Center for PTSD course: Posttraumatic Stress Disorder and Experiences of Sexual Assault During Military Service
- MST is an experience, not a diagnosis, and many survivors do not have PTSD. However, PTSD is commonly associated with MST. This course reviews the mental health impacts of sexual trauma, unique issues for female and male survivors, and implications for care. There are also other PTSD 101 courses here including “Military Culture and PTSD”, which will help you understand the context in which survivors experience MST.
- Online MST course from PsychArmor Institute
- This training provides a general overview of MST and is designed to be applicable to healthcare providers broadly. It defines MST, describes the health and general impact of MST, provides information on how to screen for MST, and describes the MST-related services available through VA. Requires free registration on the PsychArmor website, which offers access to many other helpful courses.
- MST Overview for Civilian Providers
- This presentation gives an overview of key information and resources related to military sexual trauma for civilian providers. It also provides helpful guidance for how to understand and respond to patient behaviors, and how to screen for and respond to disclosures of MST. Finally, it offers suggestions for how to adapt care if needed, including responding to strong reactions to standard exams and procedures.
- Building Hope and Resiliency online course
- Helps active duty Service members begin to recover, heal, and enhance their resiliency after a sexual assault. Also useful for providers working with active duty Service members.
- VA MST “Articles and Fact Sheets” tab
- Has downloadable brochures for Veterans, educational tools for providers, and articles that help survivors and providers learn more about MST and VA’s free and confidential MST-related services. The “Other Resources” tab also has links to other online resources for Veterans and active duty Service members.
- The PTSD Consultation Program
- Any provider treating Veterans with PTSD can ask experts a question or request consultation by emailing PTSDconsult@va.gov or calling (866) 948-7880. They also have a free online lecture series on topics relevant to treating PTSD:
- Find Local MST Training at VHA Facilities
- Call your local VA health care facility and ask to speak to the Employee Education System specialist to learn whether MST training is available in your community.