Military Sexual Trauma: ResourcesVA
Military Sexual Trauma
Free, secure and private self-help mobile app created specifically to support the health and well-being of survivors of MST. The app has over 30 specialized tools and other features to help MST survivors cope with challenges, manage symptoms, improve their quality of life and find hope. Users do not need to create an account or be in treatment to use the app. Any personal information entered in the app is not shared with anyone, including the VA.
Below are downloadable brochures for survivors, educational tools for providers, and articles that help survivors and providers learn more about MST and VA’s free MST-related services.
- Military Sexual Trauma Fact Sheet
Background information about MST, including what it is, how it can affect survivors, and help available through VA.
- Brochure for MST Survivors (English / Spanish)
An overview of issues related to MST and how to access VA services.
- Men and MST — Educational Brochure (English / Spanish) and Infographic (English / Spanish)
Information on men’s recovery from MST.
- Women and MST — Infographic (English | Spanish)
Information on women’s recovery from MST.
- Top 10 Things Healthcare and Service Professionals Should Know about VA’s MST Services
Quick reference information for non-VA service providers about VA’s MST-related offerings.
- VA’s Health Care Services for MST
Summary of eligibility requirements and types of MST-related health care services available through VA.
- VA Disability Compensation for Conditions Related to MST — Details on VA’s disability compensation for conditions related to MST. (Veterans do not need to have a VA disability rating to receive free MST-related treatment through VA.)
Stories of Recovery
Visit this site to view stories from Veterans who have overcome mental health challenges, including those related to MST. Make the Connection is a one-stop resource where Veterans and their families and friends can explore information on mental health issues, hear fellow Veterans and their families share stories of resilience, and access the support and resources they need.
- “I made it!”: Massachusetts Veteran with PTSD turns his life around
Rich Adams was sexually assaulted while in the Navy and retreated into a life of shame and anger. Treatment has turned his life around dramatically.
- The ‘Invisible Monster’: A Homeless Female Veteran’s Journey to Take Back Her Life from PTSD
Casondra Williams struggled after experiencing MST during her service. It took courage for her to reach out for help from the VA, but doing so has helped her take her life back.
- When a Victim Becomes a Victor: This Navy Veteran Stands on His Story of Military Sexual Assault
Navy Veteran Timothy Jones shares his story of coming forward and recovering from MST, and the courageous steps he took to accept assistance from VA homelessness and mental health programs along the way.
- She Wears the Boots: A Podcast for Women Veterans
The Office of Women’s Health “She Wears the Boots” podcast series includes an episode on Military Sexual Trauma which overviews definitions and impacts of MST as well as resources for those who have experienced it. The Beyond MST mobile app is highlighted as a specific resource for MST survivors.
- VHA Homeless Programs: Ending Veteran Homelessness
On the episode Supporting Survivors of Military Sexual Trauma, guests share what the research says about how MST impacts survivors, how advocacy and seeking justice can support recovery, and what VA is doing to help.